Slide thumbnail

MCKINNON CRICKET CLUB

JOIN NOW

We welcome boys and girls to join the club.
Join in the fun and love of cricket with us.

JUNIORS

Slide thumbnail

Established in 1928. McKinnon Cricket Club has a successful history and we look forward to another wonderful season.

MCKINNON CRICKET CLUB

JOIN NOW

SENIORS

Slide thumbnail

You're never too old for McKinnon Cricket Club Masters Team. We encourage everyone to come and play and have some fun along the way!

MCKINNON CRICKET CLUB

JOIN NOWJOIN NOWJOIN NOW

MASTER

GIRLS

MCKINNON CRICKET CLUB

McKinnon Cricket Club welcomes and encourages female players of all ages to play and enjoy cricket!

JOIN NOW

NEWS

McKinnon Cricket Club

This game of cricket is an ancient one, its beginnings undoubtedly in England, probably in the early 1700’s. The first recorded cricket club was the Hambledon Club in England in the 1750’s. In those days, the game featured curved bats, best suited to playing under-arm bowling and only 2 stumps at each end.

The Melbourne Cricket Club was formed in 1838, only 3 years after John Batman sailed up the Yarra River. The first match was on November 22, 161 years ago on a paddock where the old Mint Building stands. The first first-class game in Australia was on the old racecourse in Launceston in February, 1851,to celebrate the separation of the colony of Port Phillip from that of NSW. Tasmania defeated Victoria outright by 3 wickets on a rough pitch.

We mention these historical matters to put into perspective the beginnings of cricket in McKinnon. Settlement of this area began in the 1840’s, the area being known as McKinnon Road in 1884. Early cricket games were played between the market garden families on a pitch in a park opposite the McKinnon Hotel, then appropriately named “The Gardeners’ Arms Hotel”.

The McKinnon Cricket Club was formed in 1928, when Don Bradman had just commenced his first-class career of attacking hapless bowlers. Our first season was 1928/29, in the B and C Grades of the Frankston-Glenhuntly Cricket Association, just before the Great Depression.

This park was acquired by the Moorabbin Council in the 1920s from a local resident, Mr Bill Shanahan, hence Shanahan Crescent opposite the playground.

The first President was Dr Germon, the first Secretary Aubrey Reader, the McKinnon Chemist, the first Treasurer Fred Reveleigh, who with Jim Richards, the local barber, kept the Club going financially. Meetings were held in the Chemist’s shop and his assistant, Bill Moore [who is here tonight], delivered the notices and minutes. It was common for the local cattle to graze on the park and it was also Bill Moore’s job to remove the cow pats on Saturday mornings. Selection meetings were in Jim Richard’s shop and the teams went up in Reader’s window and on the McKinnon Railway Station.

Two seasons after starting, the Firsts were runners-up, the next season [1931-32] the Seconds won a flag and the first 1st XI premiership came in 1938-39.

VALUED SPONSORS / SUPPORTERS